WALTHAM, Mass - April 17, 2018 -- Bioverativ Inc., a Sanofi company dedicated to transforming the lives of people with rare blood disorders, joins the global hemophilia community in recognizing World Hemophilia Day 2018. To honor this year’s theme, Sharing Knowledge Makes Us Stronger, Bioverativ is sharing the stories of people with hemophilia in the developing world and highlighting the life-changing impact treatment can make.
In 2014, Bioverativ and Swedish Orphan Biovitrum AB (publ) (Sobi) pledged to donate up to one billion international units (IUs) of clotting factor over 10 years, including up to 500 million IUs to the WFH Humanitarian Aid Program over a period up to five years, to help transform the way hemophilia care is delivered in the developing world. Since donations began in 2015, more than 15,000 people with hemophilia in 40 countries have already been treated with over 260 million IUs of medicine donated by Bioverativ and Sobi to the WFH Humanitarian Aid Program. The far-reaching impact of this donation includes:
- Nearly tripling the percentage of children receiving treatment from 14% to 39% of patients treated
- Providing prophylactic treatment to ~1,200 people, two-thirds of whom are children under the age of 10
- Treating approximately 79,500 acute bleeds
- Enabling more than 1,500 surgeries, including life- and limb-saving
“I have witnessed the profound impact that donated factor has on those living with hemophilia in developing countries, and we thank Bioverativ and Sobi for their visionary leadership,” said Alain Weill, WFH President. “Whether for acute bleeds or prophylactic treatment, or to enable necessary surgeries, these donations are life-changing for patients and their families.”
“We believe that all people with hemophilia should have predictable and sustainable access to the treatment they need, regardless of where they live,” said John Cox, CEO at Bioverativ. “Bioverativ is proud to support the efforts of the World Federation of Hemophilia to raise the standard of care and improve outcomes for those most in need in developing countries.”
As part of World Hemophilia Day, Bioverativ will also join with the WFH and the broader hemophilia community to raise awareness and encourage ongoing support for those living with bleeding disorders by:
- Collaborating with advocacy groups on the Light It Up Red campaign by illuminating public landmarks across the globe, including Boston’s Zakim Bridge, the Wrigley Building in Chicago, the Wells Fargo Duke Energy Building in Charlotte, and the Richmond Science Museum in Richmond
- Sponsoring and co-hosting local events that include educational and science-focused family activities, in partnership with U.S. advocacy groups
To learn more about hemophilia and how to support the global hemophilia community, visit www.wfh.org.
About Bioverativ, a Sanofi company
Bioverativ, a Sanofi company, is dedicated to transforming the lives of people with hemophilia and other rare blood disorders through world-class research, development, and commercialization of innovative therapies. Bioverativ is committed to actively working with the blood disorders community, and its hemophilia therapies when launched represented the first major advancements in hemophilia treatment in more than two decades. For more information, visit www.bioverativ.com or follow @bioverativ on Twitter.